Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Blog is Back




As far as my new duties as blog master are concerned, I have been failing. Around November 1, 2008, there was a peaceful transition of blog power and unlike the peaceful transition of our humble commander in chief, I did not campaign and I wasn't elected. And now, two and a half months after being appointed to this position and two and a half months of blog neglect, the Spruce Knob blogging world is in arrears. Watching the Presidential Inauguration today, I have become motivated to take on a challenge. If Barack can do it, so can I.

I'm still not exactly sure about the definition of blog or who reads them and why. I don't have my space or facebook or any of that other hoo-haw and hardly have time to do half of things I'd like to, let alone get done the things I need to get done... but I am now the blog master. The blog is about life on Spruce Knob, something I know a thing or two about and as far as I'm concerned, there's no finer place to live.

Things are nearing perfection in our world up here. Our wood stoves are warm, our bellies are full, our work is fulfilling and plentiful, and our evenings and weekends are full of hobbies, projects, and friends. There would be no time for television if we had one. This life is much more interesting, enlightening, and rewarding than any other I could imagine. A glance to the outside world today seems as promising as any; Barack Obama is President and the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl. In our world today, the plants in the greenhouse survived the cold snap and it looks like it will be another great ski day, after work of course.

Josh


(These views do not represent those of The Mountain Institute (TMI) or of any TMI supporter. This entry does represent my views and I'm not even encouraging you to agree, so big deal.)

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Thanks for the update, Josh. Figured you would like to know that someone 'out there' is checking up on the blog every once in a while...
I spent the summer of 2000 at SKMC and always wondered what it would be like to stay on for the winter. My hours spent wandering the property, taking pictures, sampling vegetation, measuring the stream, building the composting toilet, etc. etc. were ones of quiet reflection that shaped who I am today - I'm glad you are having the same experience!
By the way - don't feel bad that you dont have a 'myface' page - I'm resisting it until the bitter end. Too many trails to ski, guitar tunes to practice and garden planning to do. So from one mountain inhabitant to another: enjoy the season; it will be over all too soon!

From Montana,
Bryan Swindell